Atypical (2017)



'Human behaviour is less like a chicken and more like an albatross. No matter how far an albatross flies, it always returns home. Unless it flies too close to the water and gets eaten by a tiger shark'

IMDb Plot Summary: Sam, an 18-year-old on the autism spectrum, decides it's time to find a girlfriend, a journey that sets Sam's mom on her own life-changing path as her son seeks more independence.

I am a big fan of Apatow's Freaks and Geeks and when I came to know that a new teenage comedy had come out, I had to, at the very least, check it out. I hated Netflix's last attempt at a teenage show (13 Reasons Why) and hence I was very sceptical about this one. But in the end, Atypical turned out to a be pleasant surprise!

This show is about an 18 year old kid in the autism spectrum and how he deals with his daily life, friends and family and most importantly, his quest to find himself a girlfriend. Alongside, we see the lives of his family - his sister who is on her way to get herself a track scholarship and a mom and dad whose relationship is going way off track as the mom (spoiler alert!) starts to cheat on the dad with a bartender.

This show is weird, off beat and hilarious. While it didn't have the impact on me that Freaks and Geeks had (well, I don't think it ever will; F&G was special because I could relate way too strongly to that series, I don't think I could relate that well to this show no matter how I tried simply because I do not know anyone in the autistic spectrum), I loved this show and a mere 8 episodes is just not enough!

While we do not know if Atypical has been cancelled or renewed, yet, I have a feeling this will be taken up for at least another season. People are gonna love Atypical. Its time for you to jump on the bandwagon along with the rest of us!

P.S. The quotes in this movie are so good! The autistic lead puts out these quotes where he relates the life of animals to humans and it springs up all throughout the series, and they are just too good. I'll try putting up a list of them on the blog if I can.

An IMDb 9/10.

Ref: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6315640/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog